How To Choose a Vehicle Transporter
Choosing the winning bid boils down to choosing the auto transporter you’re most comfortable with. Once you have received bids from carriers, you have a limited time accept the winner.
- Communicate with carriers using the question and answer function on your listing. Here you can clarify one another’s questions and get a clear understanding of all issues before booking.
- Check each transporter that you consider for DOT and MC numbers. All auto transporters are required to be registered with the Department of Transportation and must have an active USDOT and MC number. You can double check these on the carrier’s profile page by clicking the hyperlinked numbers. The exceptions to this rule are forwarders and brokers, who only have MC numbers. With registered transporters you get licensing and quality. They have to hold themselves to higher standards and you should too. A few minutes of research could save you from major headaches in the long haul.
- Review the liability and cargo insurance coverage of your carrier on their profile. All Carriers are required to have insurance. Most of our carriers have their insurance information listed in their profiles. Although the amounts of coverage vary, after booking you should request written proof of a transporter’s coverage. This is not too much to ask, and a reputable carrier won’t hesitate to provide you with this information. Most household policies won’t cover a car in transit, so check with your specific insurance company before booking to see if they have “rider” policies. Most importantly, like all things relating to money, contracts or insurance: read the fine print.
- Check your transporter’s profile for feedback. Here you can see the carrier’s past performance, history, and experience. By checking their ratings, you can get a clear picture of the way they handled shipments in the past and their success with customers. After the transaction is complete, we encourage you to leave feedback and share your experience. This way, you can help future customers decide on a vehicle transporter. There’s no better way to thank your transporter for a job well done than by leaving a glowing feedback score and comment.
- Choose a carrier. This decision is based on their ability to accommodate your time schedule, type of service they offer, insurance, price and credibility. Use common sense and follow the uShip terms and conditions when choosing a transporter for a comfortable and safe transaction.
Need to ship your car? Get a free quote from hundreds of trusted carriers on uShip.com: