Preparing Home Electronics for Shipping
Your best bet when shipping electronics is to ask your shipping company for advice or consult your owner’s manual. Hopefully you were thinking ahead and kept the original packaging, since this is the safest way to package your electronics. If you don’t have the original packaging, you may be able to buy specialty electronics boxes from a moving supply company, or with a little work, you can protect your electronics during shipping with some basic packing supplies.
Supplies you will need
- Anti-static packaging material
- Padding (for screens)
Tips for preparing your electronics for shipping
- Be sure to remove all media, such as DVDs, CDs, or tapes from the item you are packing
- Unplug and wipe down your electronics
- Bundle all cables and wires following the natural curve. Tie with twist-ties and label. Any loose cables should be placed in a labeled, clear bag and taped to the item.
- If you are shipping an item with a screen, such as a TV or monitor, make sure to carefully pad the screen to protect from scratches or cracks.