Intrastate (local) moving tips:
- Ask the company to provide an estimate on how long your move will take since these moves are generally priced on an hourly rate.
- Make sure that your quote includes any extra fees such as fuel surcharges, or a larger truck.
- Visit the facilities of any moving company you choose to help make a decision about the company. If they refuse to show you, think twice about hiring them.
Long distance moving service tips:
- Verify your household mover is licensed by the FMCSA for interstate transportation of household goods.
- Check that they have proper cargo insurance to carry your possessions.
- Request information on their dispute settlement program, which they are legally required to supply.
International moving service tips:
- Have your goods professionally packed.
- Sell, store, or donate appliances that will not work in your new country.
- For insurance purposes, create a detailed inventory of the value of your goods.