How to Prepare Your Motorcycle for Transport
Before your motorcycle movers arrive for pick up, you should prepare your motorcycle for transport. First, check your motorcycle for pre-existing damage. By documenting the condition of your bike, you can avoid problems in case of an insurance claim. To check for and record damage:
- Thoroughly clean your motorcycle
- Note chips, dings, scratches or other cosmetic damages
- Write down any mechanical issues or problems
- Take pictures of your bike from several angles, along with detail shots of existing damage
- Date all records, and show them to your mover when they arrive
Unless you are moving your motorcycle as freight through a carrier, you will not need to drain your gas tank or remove the battery. Your motorcycle does not need to be crated or packaged during the motorcycle transport service.
Remove all loose items from your motorcycle. Your motorcycle mover is not responsible for these items, and if accessories are lost or damaged they will not be covered by insurance.
Make sure your motorcycle is in good working condition. If it is not in working condition, detail this in your listing so that bidding transporters will be prepared. While it will be avoided at all costs, sometimes your carrier may need to drive your motorcycle into a motorcycle transport trailer. Fix all mechanical problems before the move and write down any special operating instructions. For successful motorcycle moving, make sure to:
- Inflate tires
- Charge the battery
- Fill gas tank to ¼ or ½ full
- Check and fix all fluid leaks