Large chest or cabinet style pieces can be disassembled to make them easier to ship. Remember to protect corners, shelves, and doors from breaking, as these types of furniture have fragile joints. Their large size can make furniture delivery and moving difficult to ship and move properly, so prepare well and take your time.
How to Prepare Cabinets, Dressers, and Armoires for Shipping
- Disassemble the piece. Remove tops, bases, and shelving, if possible.
- Remove all hardware and place in clearly labeled plastic bags.
- Wrap all loose pieces in padding and box separately.
- Protect corners with cardboard cut from boxes and bubble wrap.
- Cover in a furniture moving pad.
- Crate the piece, using packaging peanuts or other padding as a buffer.
Moving Cabinets, Dressers and Armoires
- To lighten the piece, remove drawers unless the body is unstable.
- If the body is unstable, leave the drawers to provide stability and prevent flexing.
- Do not lift by the top or by the shelves.
- Tall pieces should be carried or placed on a dolly on their sides
Hiring Movers Through uShip
With uShip, you save time and money when you need to ship a cabinet, dresser, armoire, or other big and bulky pieces of furniture. Create your listing and professional furniture movers will send you competitive quotes. Research carriers, get quotes, and get moving all in one place. You can also opt for a white glove service, giving you additional services of disassembling, placing in your home, and assembling on delivery. Use uShip and save.
Content Updated: April 29, 2019 – Lisa Friedrich